Thursday, March 22, 2012

Finding a medium...

I FINALLY finished the second patchwork skirt! Only two more to go and my patchwork saga will be retired for a bit!  It is very nice to see the result. However, I think my original plan of making 34 (or was it 38) skirts in less than a month may come to a halt.  There is still time...we shall see. You never know, right?

So here in our little corner of the world, we have been going through a lot of decision making.  It seems quite overwhelming as well. My husband and I are thinking of our child's future and I didn't think the decisions about school would be so hard.  Decisions like public or private, religious or secular, small or big.  Things along those lines.  Don't get me wrong, I am unbelievably grateful for the choice.  It is a privilege.  I just don't know which direction would be best. I also never thought that finding a church home would be so hard.  There are so many here and I feel like I am not fitting anywhere. On top of it all it is an election year and that means we are inundated with politics which can be very distracting as well.  So, I think we may head out to the woods, build a bark home, raise our family communing with nature and...............well, you get the drift. 

I think what every parent really wants is what is best for their child.  They want safety and love.  They want kindness and genuine concern.  They want their child to avoid making the mistakes of the past and be able to improve the future.  But then, when you look at their faces and you are able to catch a glimpse of the innocent joy that comes with being human for such a short time, you can't help but wonder if the greater forces are just going to let them be OK.  If there isn't something bigger that controls the situation and even if we have them in the top schools and the most wonderful churches and the world was at peace, maybe they would end up where they were meant to be and all our fussing wouldn't make a hill of beans.  It is a bit fatalistic I suppose, but aren't the hands of God much bigger than ours?  Or aren't the actions of fate so much broader than anything we could ever imagine? 

I do know this.  The best thing I can do for my child, my family and this world, is love my child unconditionally.  Feed her the kindness of the world and teach her not to seek revenge, or hatred, or greed.  No institution can teach that.  No politician can bring that.  Love, family and generosity.  These are the properties that can only be learned my example.  Perhaps that is the best we can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment