Saturday, February 25, 2012

Seeds..

Today the wind is howling and the snow is blowing...I can only hope that the daffodils that decided to make an early appearance don't get too frozen!  I don't feel too worried though, Mother Nature has an amazing way of taking care of herself sometimes.

Although this is a reminder that Old Man Winter is hanging around, I feel so happy to report that the lettuce seeds we planted in the peat pots and alive and doing well.  Tiny sprouts are reaching up and out and, even though there is snow and wind outside, they are a tender reminder to me that Spring will be here soon.  I can not wait to put my hands in the soil and begin to till in the compost.  I am so looking forward to seeing growth and life.  Most of all, I can't wait to be able to teach my family about how to care for something small and vulnerable so that it can grow and give back to us.

I am sure you can see where this is going...caring for the weak, so they can grow.  A simple idea.  A simple lesson.  Maybe if we cared for those that are smaller than us, that are weaker, we would be able to reap the harvest of what they can produce.  We will never know if we don't do it though.  Maybe a little excitement about getting your hands dirty, about working the soil and planting a seed is what we all need.  This definitely suits me better than yelling, hurting, ignoring, wasting and all those other wonderful verbs that don't have to coincide with living things.  Just a thought, just an action, really.

So, grab some lettuce seeds, or peas, or whatever you would like to plant and do it.  Then, put them in the soil and watch the miracle of what caring for something can do.  You will be very glad you did.

-Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment