Monday, March 18, 2013

Buttons

Today I was sorting through my Mom's buttons. You see, I do a lot of sewing and I asked her if she happened to have any buttons. With that small request, I have obtained two bags and a jelly jar of buttons.  They are so beautiful too...I remember looking at some of these buttons in a tin that my Mom had.  When I was a child she kept them in a white cookie tin that was in the shape of a carousel and it had purple and pink ribbons and white horses painted on it.  I distinctly remember that the tin still smelled of cookies when I opened it and what was even better were the hundreds of different buttons at my disposal.

I remember sitting on the floor and admiring each button. Some were plain, while others had beautiful carvings on them.  There were some very special ones that even had rhinestones or an armed forces emblem on them.  It is a vivid memory that I hold quite dear.  Laying on an old carpet, with the sun coming in the window and a tin of buttons. 

Now I have my own daughter and my Mother just gave me all her buttons.  Someday, I hope to see my daughter on the floor sorting through the buttons.  Maybe she will wonder where each one came from or how old they are. Maybe she will want to create with them or keep them as a treasure. Whatever she decides it is just fine with me.  I just hope the legacy and the interest of buttons can be passed down to her. My own little button.

Blessings-

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story! I'm so happy that you and your mom got to share such a great "treasure" with each other and that you're passing it down to your little one. I have a huge love of buttons too, I remember my grams always had big jars of them. I have quite a huge stash of them myself - and love pouring them all out looking for inspiration. Some I'll never use, just because they're so pretty and I want to keep them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Jen!- Heather

    ReplyDelete